Friday, May 25, 2007

Another Response To My Letter . . . .

The following is a response from Congressman John Tanner to the letter that I wrote regarding illegal immigration. Let YOUR Representatives know how you feel about important issues!

My Letter: Letters Sent . . .

__________________________________________________________

May 25, 2007

Ms. Lu
XXXX XXXXXXXX
Dyersburg, Tennessee

Dear Ms. Lu:

Thank you for contacting our office to express your opposition to the Senate's compromise with President Bush on immigration reform. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts with me on this important issue.

The Bush Administration has made comprehensive immigration reform one of its top domestic priorities for the 110th Congress. The Department of Homeland Security estimates there are more than twelve million undocumented individuals residing in the United States. With the increasing threats of global terrorism, I find this fact unacceptable, which is why I believe the first step in immigration reform must include securing our border. In the 109th Congress I was a firm supporter of border protection measures, including H.R. 4437 the Border Protection, Antiterrorism, and Illegal Immigration Control Act, and also H.R. 6061 the Secure Fence Act. Both pieces of legislation authorized federal funding for hundreds of miles of border security measures that incorporated more border patrol agents, fence construction, and guard towers along the United States Mexican border.

Following months of negotiation with the Bush Administration, the Senate has reached agreement on initial legislative language on immigration reform. I am still in the process of reviewing the language included in the proposal, and as of today companion legislation has not been drafted in the House of Representatives. I am well aware of the strong feelings of many Tennesseans, and I appreciate their willingness to express their opinions to me.

Over the years legal immigration into the United States has played an instrumental role in making our country what it is today. However, many of us have reservations about offering amnesty to those illegal immigrants who did not follow the appropriate legal procedures. I am hopeful the Bush Administration and Congress can find a reasonable solution, which is not this bill, to the illegal immigration issue that respects and honors every American citizen.

Again, thank you for contacting our office, and please continue to express your opinions to me on issues of your concern

Sincerely,


John Tanner, M. C.

0 comments: